Image Map

Tuesday 6 January 2015

Recipe: Homemade Pizza

Something pretty great happened last night. Not only did I save dinner, I also proved my husband wrong. It was awesome. We make pizza at home fairly often, usually in the oven on Turkish flat bread or pizza shells, but for christmas we got a pizza stone that you use on the BBQ and it's supposed to make delicious pizza. Well when we were at Trader Joe's last week we got some of their fresh pizza dough and decided we were going to try it tonight. 
 
So the pizza stone came with a paddle which was to be used to put the place the pizza on the stone after the stone has warmed up on the BBQ. So hubby rolled out the dough while I prepared all the toppings, I dressed the pizza and then he said he would be in charge of cooking it. Worked for me. It all went downhill from there. 
 
The corn meal he put on the pizza stone started to burn and then when he was trying to get the pizza off the paddle it wouldn't slide very easily and he panicked, almost folding the thing over into a giant calzone. Not the most patient man, dinner was declared, BBQ shut off and out of the kitchen he stomped. 
 
Well I was hungry and had pizza in the brain.
 
So I turned on the oven to 400 F, grabbed a cookie sheet and spread a bit of corn meal onto it and then used two spatulas to loosen the dough from the paddle and slid the pizza onto a cookie sheet. When he realized what I was doing, my husband told me I was crazy and it would be gross, the pizza wouldn't cook on the cookie sheet (we always cook pizza shells/flat bread directly on the rack). 
The pizza was delicious! So. Good.

So good that he told me it was better than delivery
 
Our pizzas are always really good but this one really was tastier than normal. I think it was the dough. Needless to say we will be stocking up!  We will also try the grill stone again but I think I will be the one doing the transfer. 
 
Below I have included directions on making homemade pizza in your oven... for those days you're craving pizza or when you have to save dinner :)
 
Ingredients
- 1 large cooked chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms 
- 0.5 can chopped artichoke hearts (4-5 hearts)
- 0.5 cup chopped green peppers
- 1.5 cup shredded mozzarella (or however much you want really)
- 4 tbsp pizza sauce 
- 1 tsp EVOO 
- 1 package Trader Joe's fresh pizza dough 
- Approximately 1 tsp corn meal
 
Directions
1) Get cookie sheet or pizza tray and spread the corn meal on top
2) Roll out pizza dough and then brush with EVOO - do this, it makes a big difference!
3) Spread pizza sauce all over and then 0.5 cup mozzarella 
4) Distribute the rest of the toppings (chicken, mushrooms, artichokes and green peppers)
5) Top with the rest of the mozzarella 
6) Cook at 425 F for 15 minutes (watch after 10 minutes to see how crispy you want your crust)
 

Getting the dough ready for toppings: EVOO, pizza sauce and some of cheese


Add all the toppings and then spread the remaining cheese all over 

Pizza's ready!
 
ENJOY!!

 

Linking up with: Lisa's Do Tell Tuesday and Tuesday's Table 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!