Image Map

Wednesday 27 November 2013

Christmas vs. Thanksgiving

I keep reading blogs, tweets and Facebook posts proclaiming that Thanksgiving is so and so’s ‘favourite holiday of the year’ and I have to voice my opinion - and please remember that it is just that, an opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own!  That being said, Christmas totally kicks Thanksgiving’s ass.
Don’t get me wrong, Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday and I love spending it with my family and going around the table to express what we are most thankful for and stuffing our faces with delicious food – who wouldn’t love it??  But there aren’t lights decorating the inside and outside of the house, there isn’t a tree sparking with decorations, no cards from friends and family decorating the mantle.  No staff parties, no gift exchanges, no ugly sweater parties. 
For me the days leading up to Christmas are magical and in actuality, Christmas isn’t only a day but a period of time when we celebrate with everyone near and far.  I can’t wait for this weekend when we put up our tree and decorate inside and out.  My sister-in-law and I bake cookies every year to share with friends.  Hubby and have a Christmas Eve ritual.  We visit the Christmas Market with my sister and her fiancĂ©.  I make silly crafts and watch holiday movies, search for the perfect Christmas pajamas and pray for a snow day.  Everyone who celebrates Christmas has their own special traditions and I think it’s the most special time of year.
 
So I’m sorry Thanksgiving, I love you and I will always enjoy you, but you’re in 3rd place on my podium (my birthday is my second favourite “holiday” ;).

 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!