Image Map

Thursday 26 September 2013

Home Remedy DIY

I’m not sure why exactly but we have so many fruit flies in our kitchen and it’s driving us crazy!  We keep our bananas on the counter but I thought everyone does that?  Anyway I finally had enough and started looking online on Pinterest for something to get rid of them.

I came across this pin and many slight variations of the same process so I decided to give it a try.  It’s super easy AND it worked!!

I gathered my supplies: a glass beer mug (couldn’t find an empty glass jar), apple cider vinegar (I can't believe how cheap this stuff is!) and dish soap.

2013-09-23 17.53.13

Step 1: fill container about half full with apple cider vinegar:

2013-09-23 17.53.50

Step 2: Add a good dose of dish soap (I probably squeezed in about 1.5 tablespoons)

2013-09-23 17.54.07

Step 3: add water until it's foamy at the top of the container (I used warm water because I think it gives a better foam but I'm sure cold works too)

2013-09-23 17.55.50

Step 4: put your container in the area where the fruit flies are, sit back and wait for the massacre (ok maybe not a massacre but it was getting them!)

After 1.5 hours this is what I had:

2013-09-23 19.34.55

We got about 10 more but hubby dumped it before I could take a picture.  There were no more bubbles so he dumped the carcasses out and then added more water and it still worked!  We emptied a bit more and added water for a third time and even with the dilution we still managed to get the last couple that were hanging around.

Yay success!

This is my next DIY project: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/256845984971757939/

Don't ask me why I feel the need to do this, yes I can just buy it but I think it would be fun.  Or a disaster (my "projects" are either epic failures or major successes... usually epic failures, especially recipes).  I will let you know how it goes!

What is the latest DIY project you did?

Happy one more day til Friday!

Sxxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!