Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Vacation Interrupted

The last two days have been a nightmare.  I guess not a total nightmare because hubby and I were together but this has been one of those trips that we will laugh about one day... or so we keep saying.  And we really hope it's true.

It all started on Sunday when (and yes this is entirely our fault) we woke up hungover beyond belief.  My company party the night before had erupted into a cascade of tequila shots and the results were not pretty.  We had to drive two hours to a nearby airport to catch an afternoon flight. And it was snowing.  Snowing a lot. So we dragged ourselves out of bed and headed out totally clueless about what was coming, all we could focus on was getting to the sun in Palm Springs!

We arrived at the small airport to find people and luggage left and right and heard that so far no flights had left at all that day, and the snow was still coming down.  Long story short, we stood in line for 45 minutes as they cancelled every flight except ours... We went through security and found a corner to sit in and wait... Until we finally got word that all flights were officially cancelled.  With no news on what would happen to our trip except being told there would be no refund.  Or a hotel/ meal voucher.  We debated driving home but without knowing when (if) we would be scheduled to fly out and being as exhausted (hung) as we were, we checked into a Motel 6 and passed out.  We surfaced long enough to eat dinner and finally find out that our flight had been rescheduled for Monday... At 8pm.  

Monday morning from our motel room... Half the snow had disappeared

Our lovely room...

We will never forget room 112:

We arrived at the airport at 6pm Monday and encountered the longest check-in line I had ever seen.  I guess this is to be expected when a tiny airport has to reschedule all cancelled flights in addition to the day's scheduled flights, and with only 1/3 of their staff as the rest were unable to make it due to snow. (FYI snow is NOT unknown to these parts!) We stood in the check-in line for 2 hours, then sat in the gate area for 1.5 hours, and then sat on the plane for another hour and 15 minutes before finally taking off at 10:45pm.  We landed at 1:30am and my poor father-in-law had to drive 30 minutes to pick us up. We completely lost one day of our vacation and got to bed at 3:00am.  

The line went all the way to baggage claim...

You can't even see this gong show in the above photo:

Alcohol was necessary (and we were so late there was no chance we could pick up our rental car so no need to stay sober!)

Newly discovered deliciousness... Sweet though so 2 is perfect, 3 is just over the edge.

Trying to escape the nightmare...

But we finally made it!! And I now intend to eat, drink, lay poolside and shop my ass off until hubby has to drag me back to the airport... pretty sure I deserve it!

P.S. any recommendations for an iPad app besides blogger?  The blogger app is brutal!  I can't centre or add captions to my photos...

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment!