Image Map

Wednesday 29 January 2014

Save Time: Salad in a Jar

The ratio of my pins and things I have actually tried is like 387,486 to 3 and every few weeks I think, I should really try some of these things.  My favorite things to pin though are cupcakes, cookies, pastas, cheesy dips - basically anything that packs on the pounds - and I am trying to stay away from those things.  I also look for healthy recipes but every time I try one for dinner the hubby is practically calling dominoes as I'm walking over with our plates.  So I am hesitant to try them too often.

What I have seen lately that has intrigued me are salads in a jar, and seeing as lunch is the easiest time for me to run out and scarf down the Taco Bell $5 box without anyone knowing (seriously, can someone pin a recipe for willpower??) I thought these might be a great way to have a healthy, filling lunch ready to go every day.  So this weekend I 'borrowed' five jars from my mom and decided to try it out.

I wanted to include a lot of protein so the salad would fill me up and I also knew I needed something crunchy, plus I made my own vinaigrette dressing because three cheese ranch isn't really the healthiest option.

So this is my first attempt at salad in a jar...

Dressing (made in food processor)
- chop 2 Roma tomatoes then add:
- 1 piece of crushed garlic 
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste

Salad Build (in the following order):
- 2 tbsp dressing at the bottom
- 1/4 cup black beans (out of a can, rinsed thoroughly)
- 2 oz chicken breast
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds (for a nice crunch)
- 1.5 cups lettuc packed in on top

So easy to make!

 
I made five salads in quart size jars, one for each work day.  I had my first one today and if was delicious! Because there wasn't that much lettuce I wasn't sure if it was going to be enough but I was full.  The chicken and black beans did their job.

I like to eat mine in a bowl but out of the jar works too!


There are still four days to get through and if the salad on Friday tastes as good today's then I will... Well maybe I'll stick with it and lose a couple pounds?  Do you have any idea how great it feels to have my breakfasts AND lunches all ready to go for the entire week??  I love it!

Has anyone else tried these salads? Any tips and other mixtures? 

UPDATE: I have had my third salad and still good with crunchy lettuce!

2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to comment!